We crave heat as the seasons change. This soothing Hot Mulled Cider will warm your bones & fill your heart.
- Half a gallon of unfiltered Apple Cider (nonalcoholic).
- One orange
- Twelve whole cloves
- Four 3-inch sticks cinnamon
- 15 allspice berries
- 14 teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
- Cardamom pods 7
- Brown sugar, optional: 2 tbsp
- Simmer orange juice and spices with apple cider. Pour the apple into a 3-quart pan, cover it, and turn on medium heat.
- Peel a few thick strips of orange peel with a vegetable peeler while the cider is heating. About half the cloves should be pressed into the orange peel. You can quarter the orange and then add the cloves and slices separately. The orange bobbing up and down is a lovely sight. Place the oranges, orange peel strips, and remaining cloves in the saucepan along with the other ingredients. Cover the pan and bring the mulled mixture to a low simmer. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Strain the spices and oranges: Use fine mesh sieves to strain the herbs and oranges from the hot mulled apple cider.
- Serve hot. If desired, add a cinnamon stick to each cup.
- If desired, top with whipped topping.